Brown Territory

Brown Territory
Alaska

Thursday 17 March 2011

The taste of writing


I enjoy writing and the prospect of this trip into another way of life is tasty . Why ? 

Some years ago, as a family, we got adventurous with our first experiences of travelling abroad  to France and Norway .Each time I kept a journal and now thirty years later they are kept upstairs in the Harry Potter room.Each one allows me time to revisit special memories of Kate and Nick growing up .
These memories are wide ranging from the seemingly mundane to the idyllic .The hotel in the North East where we were locked out of one of our rooms .As a result we all slept cramped restless conditions before leaving Newcastle for Bergen .

I can vividly remember my first view of a majestic albatross in the North sea following our ferry ,the lights of oil rigs at night  and Kate swimming in the smooth cool waters of a glacial lake .Her rhythmic strokes gently rippled the crystal clear lake  on a surprisingly hot day. Then Nick will remember the T shirt that he had bought alone on a shopping trip and which later mysteriously disappeared !

On my birthday this year another journal arrived from Kate and her family .It is pictured above and within its clean white pages I will be able to catch glimpses  our experiences in Alaska.  I shall enjoy shaping new memories for the future.

So the taste of writing  comes full circle  and it feels good!


2 comments:

  1. Beautifully told Gilly.I hope you can fill the pages of your newest journal with more fond memories. Love,
    Stan & Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guaranteed .We are getting very excited at the prospect of nature's Northern garden
    Love G

    ReplyDelete